Taking responsibility for our own health and well-being is not only a trend, but a necessity. The high cost of health care has caused many of us to seek out alternative ways in which we can fend off diseases and conditions that could have debilitating effects on our body. Spices and herbs are well-known health promoters and can help us maintain our health and stave off many age-related conditions. Check out these common spices and herbs that will enable you to remain healthier longer.
1. Cinnamon – A sprinkle of cinnamon on your morning oatmeal can help reduce cholesterol and blood sugar. If you don’t like the flavor of cinnamon, it’s just as effective in capsule form.
2. Turmeric – This spice contains a powerful anti-inflammatory that eases the pain of arthritis. Studies have shown it may also help prevent Alzheimer’s and colon cancer.
3. Echinacea – A low-cost, powerful herb that contains anti-viral properties. Widely used to prevent colds and upper respiratory infections.
4. Elderberry – Elderberry flowers are highly valued as a remedy for colds and fever. Elderberry fruit extracts have been shown to have significant antiviral activity, especially against the flu.
5. Garlic – Garlic provides a wide array of health benefits and its low-cost makes it affordable for all. Garlic reduces the risk of several types of cancer, lowers blood pressure, eases sinus congestion and helps stave off colds.
6. Ginseng – Ginseng improves physical stamina and mental function. Can be used to make tea or taken in capsule form.
7. Hibiscus – Beautiful flowering plant that has several health benefits when flowers are dried and used in tea. Hibiscus tea lowers blood pressure, eases sore throat pain and acts as a diuretic.
8. Marshmallow – Better than most over-the-counter remedies for heartburn and GERD. The roots and leaves of the marshmallow plant are rich in mucilage that gives a protective coating to mouth, throat, upper GI tract and stomach.
9. Sage – This herb is commonly used with poultry recipes and is effective in reducing hot flashes associated with menopause.
10. Cloves – This spice contains powerful antioxidants and antibacterial properties that work hard to help the body get rid of inflammation and infection. Helps keep blood sugar stable too.
11. Cayenne – Powerful anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory spice. Cayenne is used to reduce the pain and swelling of arthritis and reduce nerve damaged in diabetics.